Foreign Driver Insurance

Foreign Driver Insurance

If you are a UK-based foreign driver searching for car insurance, you might have found it difficult to compare insurance quotes online. Fortunately, The Quote Engine can help drivers from overseas by directing you towards insurance brokers who specialise in providing car insurance for foreign drivers. You may have realised that your overseas driving licence can cause problems with some insurers, whether it is an EU driving licence or an International driving licence.

You might also have found that your overseas driving experience is not taken into account by insurers who might be able to offer you a quote for your car insurance. These are some of the difficulties faced by foreign drivers looking for UK car insurance.

EU drivers - including those from Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Bulgaria and Romania - you are allowed to use your EU driving licence in the UK. You can drive in Great Britain until you’re aged 70. If you’re 68 or over when you become resident, you can drive for 3 years. After this time you must exchange your licence.

If you are a foreign driver from a 'designated country' - including Andorra, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe - each country will have a separate exchange agreement with Great Britain and so your driving licence requirements will vary according to which country you have come from.

For drivers from the Channel Islands - Jersey and Guernsey - and the Isle of Man - you can exchange your driving licence for a UK licence as required.
A useful Government website that advises foreign drivers on the requirements for exchanging their driving licence is

As a foreign driver looking for UK car insurance, your original or previous country of birth or residence will dictate the options available to you when it comes to driving in the UK and whether insurance companies will be willing to offer quotes for your foreign driver car insurance.